4.27.2008

A Sunny Sunday Afternoon

I have to admit that I am typically not a fan of bridal showers. I find them too cutesy and nauseating. I can only stand but so many silly games like "Make a Wedding Dress Out of Toilet Paper" or "How Many Words Can We Make Out of the Bride's and Groom's Names". Less I forget, there is the gift-opening. It's like a kid's birthday party only the presents are boring and the bride is feigning excitement over a garlic press or citrus peeler. I have such an aversion to bridal showers that I carefully instructed my maid-of-honor Cicely to NOT throw me a shower. Additionally, I have not attended a bridal shower in 8 years. When I am invited, I courteously send a gift off the registry and make an excuse that I am busy.

Today I decided to foray back into the world of bridal showers. I have somewhat ulterior motives for attending this shower. First, I have become good friends with the Bride, Wendy and her Maid-of-Honor, Janice. Secondly, I designed the invites. Lastly, when Janice told me her plans for the event, I was impressed and intrigued. Janice styled a beautiful event in the backyard of her new home. The overall look of the event was based on yellow, white, and black color scheme with the use of a damask pattern. It was beautifully executed. Rather than describe it, here are some photos.

The beautiful tablescape
Linens (with exception of the damask tablecloth), tableware, glassware, tables, and chivari chairs were rented from Town & Country Rentals.
Paper floral napkin rings were made by Janice ala Martha Stewart.
Flowers by me (Recognize them from my previous post?)

The favors - Lemon-flavored Mexican Wedding Cookies
Janice custom dyed the fabric. Debra special order the cookies. I designed the tags.


One of my other attempts at Floral Arranging.


The food was amazing. I am, of course, a teeny bit biased. I volunteered Rob to cook for this party. He's a catering chef and I told him he needed "practice". Janice wanted an upscale picnic. Rob created a delicious, light Mediterranean spread.

Here are some photos of Rob and the food:

Rob in action


Grilled Halomi cheese with Rustic Bread


Fresh Taboleh, Hummus, Pita Chips, and Lavash bread


Dolmas, Olives, Marinated Mushrooms, and Marinated Artichoke Hearts


Roasted Eggplant with Feta over a bed of couscous


Luleh (marinated ground beef) and Salmon Kabob


Roasted Vegetables


Janice's Israeli Couscous Salad


Dessert - Cake by Jordana


I have to say I was more than pleasantly surprised. Janice requested we wear black, yellow, or white in any combination. This made for great photo ops. We only played 1 game "How well do you know the bride", which was was the source of much hilarity. Apparently, Wendy had quite a good time in her single days. The gifts were interesting and not your typical bridal party fare. The alcohol was plentiful. The majority of the party was spent gabbing and hanging out. As you can tell from these photos, a good time was had by all.




Janice & Wendy

My photo op with the the bride-to-be





In case there is any doubt as to how good of a time I had, this is how late I stayed.

10 comments:

  1. OMG! It looks soooo freaking fab! But I am biased with the color combo. Nice job you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting the shower...ya know ;o)

    It looked so great! And your hubby did an excellent job on the food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well done! Is there anything you girls DON'T do well?

    ReplyDelete
  4. freakin' wow!!!!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all your help, Anne, and for your hubby's wonderful cooking! You guys rock!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sooooo beautiful! But I'm not surprised. :) Thanks SO much for everything! And Rob is an awesome cook!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey... ok so i'm planning a wedding and am DESPERATELY looking for damask tablecloth for a large table!! where did you find these?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Anonymous - The tablecloth was custom made by the party's hostess, Janice. She bought the fabric at F&S Fabrics on Pico Blvd in Los Angeles. She guesstimated the tablecloth to have cost her about $100 to make.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a beautiful shower. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what an amazing shower.

    Ive been looking all over the place for the yellow/black damask fabric and Im just reading that you made it yourself. Double wow!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
The Paper Stylist Diseñado por Wpdesigner y adaptado por Zona Cerebral